Saturday, March 14, 2009

Good Read...

This weekend I finished The Lace Reader, a new fiction book by Brunonia Barry. I have a paper to write for school and should not have been reading it but I could put it down. It's a captivating novel set in Salem Mass. It centers around the making of Ipswich Lace and the idea that each piece of lace contains a message. It is a must read for anyone familiar with the area. For me it was sort of oddly nostalgic because it touches on all of these places familiar to my childhood. Even if you don't know Massachusetts though, the story stands alone as a memorable read.

On another note, I have formed a book club with a bunch of friends. We meet monthly and I finished reading The Painted Veil by W. Sommerset Maugham for the group about a week ago. It was not something I would have picked up myself, but definitely a surprising novel. A little to Gothic for my taste but as I said, worth reading if you like fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment